Utpanna Ekadashi- Puja Vidhi, Vrat Katha, Ekadashi fasting date
Utpanna Ekadashi is observed on the ‘ekadashi’ (11th day) of the Krishna Paksha (the waning phase of moon) during the ‘Margashirsh’ month of the Hindu calendar. Utpanna Ekadashi (The Krishna Paksha Ekadashi) comes after Kartik Purnima. Lord Vishnu is worshiped on the day of Utpanna Ekadashi.
Observance of this vrat is related with washing all the sins committed during the previous and present births, thereby leading to the attainment of Moksha, or salvation.
Utpanna Ekadashi or ‘Uttpatti Ekadashi’ Parana, Ekadashi fasting date
Ekadashi Tithi Ends = 07:41 on 25/Nov/2016
Utpanna Ekadashi Fast, Vrat Katha
According to a legend there was a demon named Mura. He had defeated Lord Indra and was ruling the whole world. Indra and the other gods went to God Shiva and prayed to him to save them from the demon Mura. Lord Shiva advised them to pray to Lord Vishnu. Lord Indra along with the other Demigods went to Vaikunth ( Lord Vishnu’s abode). Lord Indra told Vishnu that Mura had conquered the world and had made all the gods his slaves. Upon hearing the pitiful prayer, Lord Vishnu assured Indra and vowed to kill Mura. Lord Vishnu initiated a fierce battle with Mura but all the different weapons used by Lord Vishnu were ineffective on Mura.
Therefore, Lord Vishnu challenged Mura for wrestling and both of them wrestled for one thousand celestial years. He tried very hard to overcome the strength of Mura but was not able to do so. Lord Vishnu fled from the battle field to take some rest and regain some energy.
Uttpanna Ekadashi Vrat Puja Vidhi
- Early in the morning the devotee should make a firm resolution or vow to fast. During the high noon he should purify his body by taking bath.
- One can take milk, milk products, fruits and nuts.
- If possible, one should take only water or milk.
- The most preferred Ekadasi food in western region of India is the Sabudana Khichadi.
- One should observe maun-japa (repeating the name of Lord Vishnu in mind) during the day time.
- One should do more meditation by keeping awake in the night.
- One should refrain from non vegetarian food, garlic onion, salt, rice, pulses, wheat etc.
- Last but not the least , one should observe self-control and purity in his thought process.
Utpanna Ekadashi : Rituals Of The Day
The person who observes the Utpanna Ekadasi Vrat should follow the rituals from the day of Dashami (tenth day of the Hindu month). Then, on the day of Ekadashi the devotee should wake up early in the morning. After taking bath, Lord Vishnu is worshiped by incense sticks, fruits and flowers.
Also, as the part of rituals of Utpanna Ekadashi, the observer of the fast should not consume garlic, non vegetarian food, alcohol and Masoor (lentils). The one who observes the Utpanna Ekadasi fast do not sleep all over the night and sing devotional songs.
Utpanna Ekadashi : Significance
The significance that the Utpanna Ekadasi holds is same as someone make donations on the day of Sankranti, lunar or solar eclipse, or taking bath at a sacred place. Utpanna Ekadashi is also as significant as donating things to 10 pious Brahmins (priests).